Sunday 26 February 2012


 
A bit of Architectural Theory...

 
So today I am trying to complete my journal for readings in modern architectural theory which is part of my MArch course.
At the moment I am discussing Signs, Semiotics, Significance which leads me to comment of Le Corbusier, where i discuss the symbolism of Modernist Architecture and how once the image above, city planning devolved from Corbusier's theories on the subject was meant to herald a new age, to create new social cities and better living, it is the perfect example of how symbolism changes as after the downfall of Modernism this image takes on rather more sinister connotations, as did much of Modernism, soviet Russia has countless examples of how this architecture represents oppression and a new impersonal society.
I think this is why many Architects now tend to disregard theory in their practice as its symbolism and meaning can change over time, however by having no theory do we create disposable architecture with no meaning to anyone, which cannot stand the test of time as no-one has views or a relationship with it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment